Not ready to commission a painted portrait? On a budget?
When you would like to have (or gift) a pet portrait but are not ready to commission a painted portrait, "Silly Little Sketches" make charming, endearing gifts and wall decorations; while not breaking the bank! I get it.
What you get: From your photo I will hand-draw you a fun sketch of your pet, approximately 5X7 size. You can opt for a digital file only (via email) which you can print yourself (*with some usage rules, see below); or you can choose a matted print that fits right into an 8 X 10 frame, sealed in a plastic art sleeve and ready to frame or gift. (You will receive an email proof prior to final product). I can ship/email to you or directly to the intended recipient, standard, flat rate USPS shipping. Expedited shipping is available at your cost - email me.
Here's how it works.
1. I need a decent photo from which to sketch! Phone camera photos are great, in general, IF:
-the lighting is good
-the resolution is high enough that I can enlarge it and see reasonable details (not blurriness or pixelly squares)
-I can see the animal's face well, and it's not blurry! Close-up, eye level shots are ideal. Take lots of photos and send them all! Likely at least one will be good.
-If you want to capture a hilarious or distinctive facial expression, I need to see it in the photo!
I don't invent these sketches, I just emphasize personality traits that I can SEE in the picture.
**Additional photo taking tips below.
2. Fill out the questionnaire (mobile users scroll down) so that I can learn more about your pet. Please email me if you would like to provide additional information.
2. Payment in full via Paypal buttons on this page (mobile users scroll down) will reserve your place on my wait list (currently two weeks). **If you prefer, I can accept payment via Venmo or alternate payment - email me!
3. Upload your photos.
-Go to the photo upload page and follow the instructions for upload.
-The password is petphoto - all lowercase.
3. I will email you to confirm the order. After completing your sketch I will email you a low resolution proof for your approval. If anything is wrong you can say so; however, keep in mind: these are intended to be caricature-style, silly sketches! If you want a more formal and/or realistic portrait, please consider commissioning a painted portrait. That said, I want you to be happy with the product, so if it's just not right, you can say so and I will try to fix it. If we ultimately cannot reach a sketch you're happy with, I'll refund up to 50% of the cost. These sketches take time and I do try my best to create a quality drawing so I appreciate your understanding of my time as the artist.
4. Upon approval of your sketch I will email/ship you the final product. Printed sketches will be on archival, quality paper in a white mat that fits into an 8X10 size frame; packaged in a plastic art sleeve. (If the portrait is damaged during shipping, let me know! I'll make it right).
Photo tips: Great sketches start with good photos.
The best photos are generally taken in good lighting (ideally natural sun), at eye level with your pet rather than looking down at your pet. I will try to work with whatever you have, but what you give me will help determine the accuracy and level of detail in the portrait.
I will be referring closely to the photos you provide so if for example, your pet has a funny eyebrow lift, different colored eyes, a tippy ear, or any other particular distinguishing feature, I need to be able to see it.
For great examples of ideal photos, visit thedogist.com.
IMPORTANT: Please only send photos that you have either taken yourself, or you have express permission to use.
Digital File Usage
If you opt for a digital file, you will receive a high resolution image that is a scan of the original drawing. You are welcome to print it out on paper and/or products as much as you like; however, they are not for resale. The image will print in good quality at the size provided. If you enlarge the image, you will lose resolution. It's the nature of digital images.
As the artist I retain all copyrights and reproduction rights to all works, including preliminary sketches. Images cannot be reproduced for sale. I retain rights to use of all images for self-promotional and/or print reproduction purposes. If you feel strongly that you do not want your portrait used, please let me know and I will try to respect your request.